Health, Safety, Security & Environment
1. Introduction of DISC’s HSE Management System:
There is no higher priority at DISC than the safety of our staff, contractors and customers. As a business, DISC believe it is important that we communicate this at every opportunity, so everyone knows and understands our commitment. Risks are always with us in our working lives and it is how we deal with those risks - both as individuals and as a business - that will ensure our safe return from work at the end of every day.
We conduct ourselves and our business with due care and in compliance with relevant laws and regulations. We have an overriding duty to ensure the health and safety of our employees and to minimize the HSE risks to our customers and the communities in which we operate. Dhofar Power Company believes that these considerations enable the business to address community and stakeholder expectations and ensure long-term business success centered on DISC’s Vision, Values and Mission strategy.
The DISC is committed to improve the Health & Safety Management System to the requirements of ISO 45001:2018- Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems & ISO 14001: 2015 Environmental Management system and other international safety standards.
The Company’s corporate strategies are formulated in alignment with the Nama group vision, mission, values and the strategic themes.
2. HSE Commitment:
Our safety vision of 'No harm to anyone at any time' underpins this commitment.
We are committed to providing and maintaining a safe and healthy work environment for our people, contractors, customers, and visitors. Our responsibility extends to ensuring DISC’s operations do not place the local community at risk.
HSE policy is regularly reviewed upon any changes in the organization and will be approved by the Chief Executive Officer. This review ensures these policies reflect the updated needs and priorities of the business.
The DISC Board Members seeks assurance of conformance with the HSE policies and systems, and regularly reviews HSE performance and risks on quarterly basis. HSE management plans, programs, procedures, and practices, are implemented and supported by those working for DISC.
Activities conducted by DISC, including those conducted by contractors or by other companies on behalf of DISC, conform to the HSE rules, procedures, and Standard Operating Procedures.
To fulfil our commitment DISC will:
- Ensure compliance with all legislative requirements & provide and maintain a safe working environment and safe systems of work.
- Maintain and communicate written procedures and instructions to ensure safe systems of work.
- Provide measurable objectives and targets
- Ensuring continuous improvement to our safety performance to our people, contractors and visitors.
- Provide appropriate information, training and supervision encourage and support our people to manage their mental and physical health through initiatives offered under our fitness for work program.
- Ensure timely rehabilitation and return to work plans for work and non-work related injury and illness.
4. HSE Unsafe Observations Reporting
Public member are advised when Observing any unsafe electrical asset in DISC network like Sagging conductors of overhead power lines, or unsecured electrical panel doors to contact immediately the company's hotline 80077700 and report such cases. (Emergency number is a free line and available 24 hours a day)
HSSE Policies in English
Health, Safety & Environmental Policy
DISC seeks to develop, maintain and operate a Safe, Efficient & Economical electricity distribution and supply in Dhofar region. DISC will make all reasonable efforts to manage Health, Safety and Environment in order to minimize the risk to its employees, contractors, consultants, consumers and public alike. DISC will commit to the following objectives to successfully manage its business:
- Complying with the applicable HSE legislations of Sultanate of Oman while conducting Power Distribution and Supply related operations.
- Our goal is to achieve ZERO accidents in all our operations by pursuing the goal of NO work related injuries and ill health to people and provide at most satisfaction to employees, contractors, consultants, customers and other interested parties.
- Minimizing impact on Environment through reduction of pollution; and minimize Health & Safety risks by designing facilities and conducting operations in a safe and environmentally responsible manner and ensures conservation of resources.
- Promoting a culture in which all employees share HSE commitments at work and at home and promote awareness and involvement amongst employees on the HSE aspects to enable them carryout their responsibilities in a safe and environmentally responsible manner through participation, training, team building, motivation and communication and assuring competence.
- Ensure contractors and consultants to manage HSE in line with this policy and HSE Management system, safety rules and procedures and applicable legal requirements.
- Empowering all employees including contractor’s and consultant`s employees to start work only when conditions are safe and stop work when conditions are unsafe and encourage employees to report any unsafe situations and events and assist in resolving any health and safety related issues.
- Up-keeping and continually improving the effectiveness and performance by individually and collectively developing and implementing of its HSE Management System to comply with ISO 45001: 2018 and ISO 14001: 2015 requirements.
- Ensure to protect public through awareness programs and communication; and by implementing HSE Management system.
- Ensure to preserve asset integrity by taking a leading role in upholding the ISO 55001 international standard.
- Providing all necessary resources to facilitate the implementation of this policy and publically demonstrate continuous improvement of HSE performance and demonstrate corporate social responsibility in all DISC operations.
Eng. Ali Issa Shamas Chief Executive Officer
5. Dhofar Integrated services Company ( New Company)
By the end of the first Half of 2021 a merged company consisting DISC , SSDC and DGW will be officially announced. Transitions committee Teams had been formed from three entities to ensure the merge readiness of day one. HSE transition committee member team has been formed in order to analysis the HSE system for the entities and provide recommendations with target dates for developing new united HSE system for the new company.